Welcome to The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
In this episode, we discuss the use of Bible commentaries in sermon preparation.
- Make friends with several good commentators.
- Find the best commentaries on individual books of the Bible.
- Use different types of commentaries.
- Consult commentaries toward the end of your study.
- Make strategic use of Bible commentaries.
- Do not read too many commentaries.
- Remember that no commentary is the ultimate authority on scripture.
- View commentaries as a sermon preparation tool.
- Though shalt not steal!
- Preach the Word, not the commentary.
- Do you use Bible commentators?
- How do you use commentaries in your study?
- Who are your favorite commentators and commentaries?
- BOOK: On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- ARTICLE: Building a Preacher’s Library
- BOOK: New Testament Commentary Survey by D.A. Carson
- BOOK: Commentaries for Biblical Expositors by James Rosscup
- WEBSITE: Best Commentaries
Some preachers use the Bible the way a drunk uses a lamppost – more for support than for illumination. – David Helm
The Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference will take place September 19-21, 2019 at the Shiloh Church in Jacksonville, Florida. This conference is dedicated to training, promoting, and modeling biblical preaching and teaching. There will be tracks for preaching, Christian education, Pastors’ Wives, Women’s Ministries, and Worship and Arts. Register today!
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, a question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read in this episode, leave a message in the comments section.