Welcome to The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better!
In this episode, I talk about how to preach through distractions.
All kinds of distractions may arise as you preach the word. Sound issues, temperature extremes, crying babies, walking people, ringing cellphones, medical emergencies, intentional disruptions can happen during any sermon and distract away from the message.
How do you preach through distractions that may arise as you preach?
- Ignore it.
- Remain calm.
- Practice “the fruit of the Spirit” (Galatians 5:22-23).
- Address the distraction directly.
- Ask for help.
- Use humor to ease the tension.
- Distraction from the distraction.
- Remember there is spiritual warfare happening when you preach.
- Stay on message.
- What types of distractions have you been forced to preach through?
- What advice would you give for preaching through distractions?
- On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- Passion in the Pulpit by Jerry Vines & Adam B. Dooley
- Learning from a Legend by Jared E. Alcántara
- “Eight Most Frequent Preaching Distractions | Thom Rainer
- “Shooing Flies in the Pulpit” | H.B. Charles Jr.
“The temptation will be to let the pulpit drive you to the Word, but instead you must let the Word drive you to the pulpit. Prepare the preacher more than you prepare the sermon.” – Timothy Keller
The Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference will take place September 18-20, 2018 at the Shiloh Church in Jacksonville, Florida. This conference is dedicated to training, promoting, and modeling biblical preaching and teaching. There will be trains for preaching, Christian education, Pastors’ Wives, Women’s Ministries, and Worship and Arts. On Friday, September 21, there will be a live CD recording by the Shiloh Church Choir and Sovereign Grace Music. Register today!
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, a question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read in this episode, leave a message in the comments section.