Welcome to The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
This episode is a first. During this episode, I will draw from the “mailbag” to answer questions about sermon preparation and sermon delivery.
Over the years, I have learned to preach by three means: (1) Study, (2) practice, (3) and conversation. You can learn a lot about preaching by talking to other preachers about preaching. I hope this episode will serve you in that way. I am not an expert or scholar. But whatever I know about preaching from my decades of experience, I am glad to share.
Here are the questions I address in this episode:
- Which Bible dictionary do you use?
- How do you ensure illustrations are not more powerful than the sermon?
- How do you structure a sermon under twenty minutes?
- What is your preparation for preaching at the last minute after getting an invitation?
- How important is dress code in the pulpit?
- Have you taken any speech classes or been coached in your verbal delivery?
- What tools or steps would you recommend to help one find the theme of the text?
- What preaching books would you add to the list that you already had from one of your previous episodes?
- Can a preacher be too strong in explanation, illustration, or application and out of balance in the other?
- Do you prefer physical tools as opposed to digital technology?
- BOOK: On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- ARTICLE: “Have You Been with Jesus?” | H.B. Charles Jr.
- PODCAST: Seven Books on Preaching Every Preacher Should Read (#009)
- BOOKLET: Preaching by Timothy Keller
- BOOK: A Legacy of Preaching (2 Volumes) by Benjamin K. Forrest
Passion is not a substitute for clarity. Volume is not a substitute for content. Emotion is not a substitute for conviction. – H.B. Charles Jr.
An Invitation to Cutting It Straight 2019
The Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference will take place September 17-19, 2019 at the Shiloh Church in Jacksonville, Florida. This conference is dedicated to training, promoting, and modeling biblical preaching and teaching. There will be tracks for preaching, Christian education, Pastors’ Wives, Women’s Ministries, and Worship and Arts. Register today!
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, a question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read in this episode, leave a message in the comments section.