Welcome to The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
In this episode, I want to talk to you about preaching as the worship leader. Who is the worship leader in the local church? It is the pastor who regularly preaches in the worship services. It is one thing to preach as a guest at an event. It is another thing to be the main preaching pastor of a local church. As the worship leader of your congregation, you have more responsibility than the preaching and preparation of your sermon.
What does it mean to preach as the worship leader?
- Participate in worship planning and review.
- Discuss the selection of music.
- Ensure the pastoral prayer is prepared.
- Guard the use of special elements.
- Join the congregation in worship.
- Preach as worship and for worship.
- Be intentional about the response to the message.
How do you prepare to preach as the worship leader?
“I contend that the task of the doctrinal preacher is to serve as an escort who ushers the hearer into the presence of God through the proper and precise expounding of the Word of God. When this is done, the efforts of doctrinal preachers have reached their limits because they cannot transform the hearer. The hearer is left in the presence of the only One who can transform a human soul—Christ.” – Robert Smith Jr.
- BOOK: On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- ARTICLE: Why I’d Go to Church If I Were Not a Preacher | H.B. Charles Jr.
- PODCAST: The Preacher’s Offering to God on Sunday (#071)
- BOOK: Doctrine that Dances by Robert Smith Jr.
- BOOK: Expository Exultation by John Piper
The Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference will take place September 17-19, 2019 at the Shiloh Church in Jacksonville, Florida. This conference is dedicated to training, promoting, and modeling biblical preaching and teaching. There will be tracks for preaching, Christian education, Pastors’ Wives, Women’s Ministries, and Worship and Arts. Register today!
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, a question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read in this episode, leave a message in the comments section.