Welcome to The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
In this episode, I want to you talk to you about developing a sermon preparation checklist. Many “thought workers” use checklists to do their work with effectiveness, efficiency, and excellence – like doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, and chefs. Preachers should also use sermon preparation checklists as they prepare to preach the word.
What should be in a preacher’s sermon preparation checklist?
- When and where will I be preaching this sermon?
- Do I understand the meaning of the text?
- Have I applied this message to myself?
- Is my material organized for preaching?
- Can I state the point of this message in a clear statement?
- What are the objectives of this sermon?
- Have I prayed?
What is on your sermon preparation checklist?
- BOOK: On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- ARTICLE: 3 Things I Need God to Do for Me As I Preach
- PODCAST: Preparing Yourself to Preach (#011)
- BOOK: Expositional Preaching by David Helm
- BOOK: Preaching for the Rest of Us by Robby Gallaty & Steven W. Smith
“The devil will let a preacher prepare a sermon if it will keep him from preparing himself.” – Vance Havner
The Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference will take place September 17-19, 2019 at the Shiloh Church in Jacksonville, Florida. This conference is dedicated to training, promoting, and modeling biblical preaching and teaching. There will be tracks for preaching, Christian education, Pastors’ Wives, Women’s Ministries, and Worship and Arts. Register today!
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, a question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read in this episode, leave a message in the comments section.