Welcome to The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
In this episode, I want to talk to you about what it means to preach the word. In 2 Timothy 4:2, Paul charged Timothy to preach the word. This is the definitive, central, and primary function of the pastor and the church. But we live in a time where there is a conspiracy against preaching – in the pews and in the pulpit. But it is and has always been the will of God to save the lost and sanctify the church through the preaching of the word.
What does it mean to obey the call of God to preach the word?
- Preach the word as one charged.
- Preach the word accurately.
- Preach the word with conviction.
- Preach the word about Jesus Christ.
- Preach the word faithfully.
- Preach the word to people.
- Preach the word apologetically.
What does it mean to you to preach the word of God?
- BOOK: On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- PODCAST: #004: A Theology of Preaching [PODCAST]
- ARTICLE: Preach the Word!
- BOOK: Saving Eutychus by Gary Millar & Phil Campbell
It is not our preaching that makes the gospel work; it is the gospel that makes our lousy preaching work. – H.B. Charles Jr.
The Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference will take place September 17-19, 2019 at the Shiloh Church in Jacksonville, Florida. This conference is dedicated to training, promoting, and modeling biblical preaching and teaching. There will be tracks for preaching, Christian education, Pastors’ Wives, Women’s Ministries, and Worship and Arts. Register today!
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, a question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read in this episode, leave a message in the comments section.