Welcome to episode #34 of The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
In this episode, I offer ten helpful hints for preaching as the new pastor of a local church…
- Make preaching a top priority.
- Do not neglect your sermon preparation.
- Plan your preaching.
- Introduce your congregation to series preaching early.
- Do the work of an evangelist.
- Don’t take it personally.
- Be a church historian.
- Love your people.
- Preach for tomorrow, not about yesterday.
- Avoid unnecessary controversy.
BONUS SUGGESTION: Make haste slowly.
What advice would you give to a preacher who is beginning a new pastorate?
- On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr
- On Pastoring by H.B. Charles Jr
- Preaching That Changes Lives by Mike Fabarez
- Preaching?: Simple Teaching on Simple Preaching by Alec Moyter
- The SBTS Expositors Summit | October 25-27, 2016 | Louisville, KY
- The Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference | September 20-22, 2016 | Jacksonville, FL
[Tweet “The preacher who handles the Word must first be touched by that same Word! – Robert Smith Jr.”]
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, a question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read in this episode, leave a message in the comments section. Or send a message by clicking SEND VOICEMAIL tab to the right of this page.