his is episode #024 of The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
In this episode, we talk about the essential key to proper Bible interpretation – Context.
Here are 7 areas of context you should consider:
- The Literary Context
- The Historical Context
- The Religious Context
- The Cultural Context
- The Political Context
- The Geographic Context
- The Theological Context
- How do you study context in your sermon preparation?
- In what way do you factor in these seven elements of biblical context?
- What tools do you use to study context?
- The Literary Study Bible edited by Leland Ryken & Philip Graham
- Nelson’s New Illustrated Bible Manners And Customs How The People Of The Bible Really Lived by Howard F. Vos
- The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah by Alfred Edersheim
- Recapturing the Voice of God: Shaping Sermons Like Scripture by Steven W. Smith
- On preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- For The Church Conference (August 31-September 1, 2015)
- Cutting it Straight Expository Preaching Conference (September 22-24, 2015)
- The Expositors Summit 2015 | Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (October 27-29, 2015)
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read, leave a message in the comments section. Or send a message by clicking the SEND VOICEMAIL tab to the right of this page.
[Tweet “Words are like people, they are known by the company they keep. – A. Louis Patterson Jr.”]