This is episode #023 of The On Preaching Podcast, the podcast dedicated to helping you preach faithfully, clearly, and better.
This is a follow-up from episode #022: 7 Reasons Why You Should Plan Your Preaching. In this episode, I give basic tips and steps for planning your preaching.
Here are five basic tips for planning your preaching…
- Establish the length of your sermon plan.
- Think through your sermon plan in series.
- Set a time to plan your preaching.
- Pick a place to plan your preaching.
- Gather the tools you need to plan your preaching.
Here are steps you should take in planning your preaching…
- Review what you preached last year.
- Consult your ministry team.
- Select book and thematic series you will preach.
- Establish a primary text and working title for every sermon.
- Assign a date for each sermon.
- Leave one Sunday open every quarter.
- Be flexible
- Continue to review your plan.
- What tips would you give for planning your preaching?
- What steps do you take in planning your preaching?
- Planning Your Preaching by Stephen Rummage
- Preaching by Timothy Keller
- On Preaching by H.B. Charles Jr.
- Cutting It Straight Expository Preaching Conference (September 22-24, 2015)
- For the Church Conference | Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (August 31-September 1, 2015)
- The Expositors Summit 2015 | The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (October 27-29, 2015)
If you have an idea for a podcast episode, question to ask, or any feedback from what you have heard or read, leave a message in the comments section. Or send a message by clicking the SEND VOICEMAIL tab to the right of this page.
Every time you expound a biblical text, you are not finished unless you demonstrate how it shows us that we cannot save ourselves and that only Jesus can. That means we must preach Christ from every text, which is the same as saying we must preach the gospel every time and not just settle for general inspiration or moralizing. – Timothy Keller, Preaching, p. 48